Follow the links to the CNN website reporting on the expiration of the Patriot Act. Read the articles and watch the related videos.
Patriot Act provisions have expired: What happens now?
Lynch joins Obama in prodding Senate over NSA powers
1. According to the article what three counter terrorism tools does the U.S. lose without the Patriot Act?
2. The National Security Agency (NSA) was collecting and storing bulk metadata on millions of Americans. If the NSA no longer collects this data and the data is not collected and stored by any other entity will the U.S. be able to conduct historical research on the phone records of a terrorist who is captured in the future?
3. What is meant by metadata? Does it mean the NSA can read your text messages and emails?
4. Does President Obama’s attorney general think the loss of current powers makes America less safe?
5. Why would both President Bush and President Obama support the same provisions of the Patriot if those provisions violate the privacy rights of millions of Americans?