PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.
DO NOT SUMMARIZE!!!!
Use these questions below to guide you as you complete yourreading responses for short stories. I suggest that you chooseonly a few questions to answer in your response–but make the response a paragraph–don’tnumber your responses. You will probably notice that some of thequestions are similar and that some of the responses mayoverlap–that’s fine. Your response should reflect your ownthoughts and analysis of the story. Your response to each storyshould be at least 200 words (but will probably be longer) andshould show that you have read the story carefully. You shouldmention the names of characters details from the story thatsupport your response incidents in the story that affect yourreading of it etc. (You must use quotations from the stories inyour responses.)
1. What did you like about the story? What did you dislike? Why?
2. Who is your favorite character? Is he or she like you in anyway? Would you make the same decisions (or react in the same ways)in the same situations as this character? Why or why not? Whichcharacters remind you of people you know?
3. What did you learn about American history society artliterature philosophy science (etc.) from this story? Whatresearch might you do to help you understand the story better?
4. What did you learn about life from the story?
5. In what ways do you identify with the story?
6. How would you describe the writer’s style or voice? Styleincludes use of irony symbolism figurative language point ofview etc.
Here’s an interesting checklist of literary style that you mightfind helpful: Checklist:Elements of Literary Style
7. What are your favorite sentences passages words etc. fromthe story? Explain your choice.
8. What would you tell a friend about this story?
9. Who would you recommend this story to and why?
10. What value does this story have for you?
11. What connections do you find between the life of the authorand his or her work?
12. What questions did you have after you finished the story?
13. What words did you look up?
Here are questions responding personallyto the poetry. Be sure to respond to four poets.