Guastello S. (2013). Human Factors Engineering and Ergonomics: A Systems Approach Second Edition. ISBN 978-1466560093
The Work System Method: Connecting People processes and IT for Business Results Steven Alter [ISBN 0-9778497-0-8]
For the final exam I want you to focus specifically on the Technology component of the course and any work systems you interact with at work (it does not need to be the one you did your case analysis over).
Consider the concept of usability testing raised in chapter 2. Identify one piece of technology that you interact with at work and perform a usability analysis. It could be a website a database a software program or a more immersive human-machine interface.
The final paper should be 4-5 pages in length double-spaced with internal citations of the Guastello text and page numbers. There is no need to include a reference list or cover page.
Here are the prompts you should address:
1. Was the technology designed with the user in mind? Why or why not?
2. What HF principles are well-implemented and which are not? These might include flexibility allocation of function or human error/reliability. Be specific and reference principles from other assigned chapters such as the Human Computer Interaction chapter.
3. Whatpsychological principles explain why the technology performs well or not well? Here you should cite principles from the Cognition chapter and/or Stress and performance chapter.
4. What recommendations would you make to improve the technology? Here you should draw on principles from the Human Computer Interaction chapter as well as any others that are relevant.
5. Do any Work Systems principles from the Alter text also apply?