This archive file of CJA 354 Week 5 Final Exam consists of the next questions:
1) That which is laid down ordained or established…a body of rules of action or conduct prescribed by controlling authority and having a binding legal force?
2) What are the unwritten rules that underlie and are inherent in the fabric of our society?
3) Which of these crimes is male prohibita?
4) The least serious crime is a(n):
5) ________ is the legal principal that requires that courts be bound by their own earlier decisions and by those of higher courts having jurisdiction over them regarding subsequent cases on similar issues and fact.
6) The first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution are known as:
7) Jury instructions are directions given to the jury by the:
8) Criminal liability is the degree of ____________ assigned to a defendant by a criminal court.
9) The basic parts or components of a crime are referred to as the ________ of the crime:
10) In the criminal law ________ is considered behavior and the accompanying mental state.
11) The Latin term for guilty act is:
12) The Model Penal Code outline four ________: purposely knowingly reckless and negligent.
13) Ray insults Bob. Bob then beats Ray up to get revenge. Bob’s action is:
14) Knowing behavior is action undertaken with:
15) The term scienter signifies a defendant’s:
16) ________ is not an essential element of a crime.
17) When Bob gets in his car in the morning he checks his taillights and sees that they both work. Two hours later he is pulled over and given a ticket for the taillight that just burned out. Bob has committed a(n) ________ offense.
18) Bob commits a burglary to get money to buy drugs. Getting money to buy drugs is Bob’s:
19) ________ is the simultaneous coexistence of an act in violation of the law and a culpable state of mind.
20) The facts that show that a crime has occurred are referred to in Latin as the:
21) Bob was found with 30 brand new televisions in their original packaging in his apartment. The police thought Bob must have stolen them but no one had reported the televisions stolen. There was not sufficient evidence of the ________ to proceed with the prosecution:
22) The Latin term corpus delicti literally means:
23) The principle of law that says that an out-of-court confession unsupported by other facts is insufficient to support a criminal confession is the ________ rule.
24) The concept of causation refers to the fact that the concurrence of a guilty mind and a criminal act must produce or cause:
25) If there is an actual link between a person’s conduct and the resulting harm ________ exist(s).
26) An unfinished crime that generally leads to another crime is a(n) ________ crime.
27) In the context of criminal attempt a significant activity undertaken in furtherance of some goal is a:
28) Attempt is a ________ crime.
29) In the context of criminal attempt an act that fails to meet the requirements for a substantial step is called:
30) Evidence and arguments offered by the defendant to show why the defendant should not be held liable for a criminal charge are called:
31) Bob is charged with a crime and defends himself by arguing that he only committed the crime to avoid some greater evil. Bob is defending himself with a(n):
32) ________ admit that the action committed by the defendant was wrong and that it violated the criminal law but claim that the defendant should not be held accountable under the criminal law by virtue of special conditions or circumstances that suggest the defendant is not responsible for his or her deeds.
33) Bob kidnaps Ray and Ray’s wife at gunpoint. Bob drives them to a bank and tells Ray to go into the bank and rob it or he will kill his wife. Ray robs the bank. Ray’s defense to a charge of bank robbery is:
34) ________ is generally not regarded as an effective defense because the law generally holds that a person who voluntarily puts himself or herself in a condition must be held responsible for the consequences of that condition.
35) ________ is the killing of a human being by the act procurement or omission of another human being.
36) A death that is the result of a purposeful human act lawfully undertaken in the reasonable belief that no harm would result is:
37) Bob stabs Ray with a knife hollering that he will kill Ray. Ray manages to pull a gun out of his pocket and shoot and kill Bob before Bob can stab Ray a second time. Ray has committed:
38) Bob’s girlfriend Mary breaks up with him. Mary makes it clear that she doesn’t want to see Bob any more. Bob responds by waiting outside Mary’s job and silently following her home from work each day. This behavior may constitute the crime of:
39) Rape shield laws attempt to protect the victims of rape by limiting a defendant’s in-court use of:
40) ________ is the trespassory taking and carrying away of personal property in the crime of larceny.
41) Larceny can only be committed:
42) Crimes against ________ are those that disturb or invade society’s peace and tranquility.
43) Public order offenses include:
44) ________ is one form of disorderly conduct that is often described as unlawful public fighting to the terror of the people.
45) A ________ crime is an offense committed against the social values and interests represented in and protected by the criminal law and in which parties to the offense willingly participate.
46) Crimes against public decency and morality typically include:
47) In 1910 the federal government passed the Mann Act or White Slave Traffic Act for the purpose of controlling:
48) The elements of the crime of ________ are: 1) engaging in or offering to perform 2) a sexual act 3) for hire.
49) Soliciting prostitution is the act of ________ another to commit the crime of prostitution.
50) Victim impact statements are used:
51. List and discuss the three essential aspect of all crime as discussed in Chapter 2 of our text. Be sure to discuss each aspect in some detail.
52. List and explain the 4 types of sentences that can be assessed by a Court who is imposing criminal sanctions (discussed in Chapter 14).