For federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement officials, striking the delicate balance between homeland security and the civil liberties of Americans is often seen as the most difficult challenge in combating terrorism and protecting U.S. national security. For this assignment, you are to write 600–800 words discussing this delicate balance. Your posting should specifically address the following questions:
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
· How should federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement meet the need to gather terrorism-related intelligence with the requirement to protect the civil rights of their citizens? Explain.
· What types of data should federal, state, local, and tribal agencies be allowed to store in their intelligence fusion centers? For how long? With what safeguards? Explain.
· What policies should be in place to prevent racial, religious, and ethnic profiling? Explain why.
· How might federal, state, local, and tribal agencies use prevention policies to increase cooperation in local communities? Explain.
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
· What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
· What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
· What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
· What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?